Hello

Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Topic: News #28: A New Chapter  (Read 3315 times)

News #28: A New Chapter
« on: 09. February 2020, 02:41:23 »
Hello, I'm back to DDC as a developer. It has been 4 years since the community was moved to FFS. I always missed the old times, but I had to move on with my life. In 2017, I started learning C++ programming and reverse-engineering. After learning C++ and hacking, my programming skills improved, and I started contributing to MTA in 2018 and began developing it. I wanted to start my own server in MTA. After talking to NoHear, I thought even if DDC has less players, it's still the community where I have many old memories and met lots of great people.

There are some features that I would like to have in DDC server, but MTA has some limitations. It's not possible to have them in Lua. I wanted to lift those limits and add new features to MTA in C++. Technically, it's posssible, but, it's not that easy. If I break something in MTA, it will affect all servers. Due to this very reason, I didn't implement these features as I wanted to write code without the fear of crashing hundreds of servers. "What kind of features?" you might ask, features like, the ability to see hundreds of entities on screen without lag, customizable models (vehicles, peds, and objects), cool shader effects, and upgrading MTA to DX11.

DX11 Upgrade

The most important feature that MTA desperately needs is upgrading to DX11. There is a project called "RenderHook," they have successfully upgraded GTA SA to DX11. This not only improved GTA SA graphics but also the performance.

(click to show/hide)

How does this relate to DDC?

Since it's not possible to have cool features in Lua that I want to implement, but we can have them if I write code in C++ and compile a custom MTA build. This means that players who wish to play on our server, they'll have to download the custom build from our website. They cannot join our server with standard MTA client. We're not the first ones to do this. There are some russian projects, who are providing a custom build of MTA on their website, and they are very successful. I'll advertise DDC server, so nobody should to feel paranoid about how we're going to get players. If I can write C++ for our MTA server, then there are no limits. We can have any kind of feature we want.

So what now?

I'm not going to immediately write a custom client. I first want to work on the race gamemode of DDC and improve it. In fact, I've already started working on it. I've decided to start with the UI design. Timboii is helping me with the design. If anybody else has good design ideas, I want you to know that I'd be happy to work with you.

Github Issues

We'll use Github for bug-tracking and feature requests. If you want to report a bug or feature, then you'll need to create an account on Github and post the issue HERE. This is how the issue page looks like:

(click to show/hide)

But before you post an issue there, please make sure that you properly describe what you want. Try not to post any jokes there or go off-topic, because this is a serious project.

Project Timeline

As I'm coding the design for the current DDC MGM, I'll implement new features as soon as we have something working. The new login panel is 90% complete, and you'll see it on the DDC server in a few days. Unlike last time, I'm no longer in a university, and I have free time for DDC, and I'll keep working on daily basis because I want to make DDC big.

The first phase is to improve the current race mode and add new features. It has been a few days since I came back, and I have made a lot of progress on the login panel, which is why it's nearly complete. I can't give you the exact timeline because I don't know what kind of features people want. So please, post your suggestions on ddc Github issue page.

DX11 Feature Levels

Before I upgrade MTA to DX11, I want to know if our players can run DX11. I need everyone to send me their DX information. If you have an old PC or weak laptop, then it will be nice if you send me your DX information for the old computer as well.

1. Press Ctrl + R.
2. Write dxdiag in Run and press enter.
3. Click on "Save All Information..." and save the txt file on your PC.
(click to show/hide)
4. Upload the txt file to pastebin and send me the link in PM.
« Last Edit: 09. February 2020, 02:47:00 by saml1er »

• Awards For people who joined DDC community in 2007 Mr.Retard / PCA 19 Mr.Good Looking / PCA 19 Mr.Clever / PCA 19 Mr.Change Bad / PCA 19 Mr.Abuser / PCA 19 Poll award Mr.Keeping You Alive / PCA 17 Mr.Admin / PCA 17 Poll award Referee Mr.Sunshine / PCA 16
Re: News #28: A New Chapter
« Reply #1 on: 09. February 2020, 02:42:33 »
 :bi:  :clap:  :yuppi:  :yuppii: :heey:  :hey:

« Reply #2 on: 09. February 2020, 03:19:02 »
Man, that's what I would call fucking good news! Nice to have you back in here, this is what DDC needs! (y)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3 on: 09. February 2020, 03:40:05 »
Glad to hear that there is still people out there trying to keep up with this community BUT, this is how I see things and some people may relate.

Most of us know that DDC went downhill for three reasons. One was the new server that was in development by Aibo that never saw daylight, other reason was trying to make it like ffs for some minor players leaving (Whitewarrior, Unruh and OP clan) and gain new players. Last, something that ruined most online games nowdays is trying to make money out of it.

If you will work in this project, keep in mind that you might be doing it to attract new players and that's what Tails tried to do back then. Take into consideration that the people that come here are the same kids that were playing in 2009-2014 and come back from time to time mostly for nostalgia (incluiding me). Remember DDC servers were almost at the top for racemode but Tails felt threatened by ffs growing popularity. If she had simply ignored them, maybe she might have been able to keep DDC strong and under control. (Just to make it clear, I don't blame Tails because I know she was going through a lot)

I believe the old servers were great, they were ahead of its time thanks to Aibo desings and coding. Yeah, it was pretty basic I know but it was fun to play. Even being an admin was fun but since the update started they removed most admin functions such as movestats, fun commands, adminpanel, etc. I believe it might be kinda easy now to "re-code" old servers, they don't really need to be exactly like they were but I believe many old players saved images, logos, etc.. Bring back movestats, old stupid commands, /admin list & adminpanel, old userpanel, etc. I would even risk it and divide the servers. Bring back Drunk Drivers Club *color*. Trying to copy the old forum as well, I know this one looks alike but its not the same. I have the old forum layout in my old PC, I believe I can recover it and start working from there and help you to bring back what was once taken from us.

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but this community will always have a place in my heart. Even now, that I'm an adult and I don't have much time to play games, I come to check how is everything going and believe me when I say it breaks my heart to see people commenting in the players choice awards and not being able to fill all the blank spaces. I would really love to play once again but in the old servers.

« Reply #4 on: 09. February 2020, 04:12:40 »
Glad to hear that there is still people out there trying to keep up with this community BUT, this is how I see things and some people may relate.

Most of us know that DDC went downhill for three reasons. One was the new server that was in development by Aibo that never saw daylight, other reason was trying to make it like ffs for some minor players leaving (Whitewarrior, Unruh and OP clan) and gain new players. Last, something that ruined most online games nowdays is trying to make money out of it.

If you will work in this project, keep in mind that you might be doing it to attract new players and that's what Tails tried to do back then. Take into consideration that the people that come here are the same kids that were playing in 2009-2014 and come back from time to time mostly for nostalgia (incluiding me). Remember DDC servers were almost at the top for racemode but Tails felt threatened by ffs growing popularity. If she had simply ignored them, maybe she might have been able to keep DDC strong and under control. (Just to make it clear, I don't blame Tails because I know she was going through a lot)

Well, in my opinion, the scripters who were working on the "new" ddc script, they never finished it, and went inactive before they could complete it. This happened with me as well. To be honest, I blame myself for the downfall of DDC, and it was mainly because of my inexperience. I just never worked on bigger projects before, and I got busy in the end. I do plan on restoring the old DDC, but we'll do it in a bit modern way, for example, we can have a custom admin panel with some features locked depending on the level of admin. We can also keep the commands. I have learned a lot about UI scripting, and the design will be great.

I believe the old servers were great, they were ahead of its time thanks to Aibo desings and coding. Yeah, it was pretty basic I know but it was fun to play. Even being an admin was fun but since the update started they removed most admin functions such as movestats, fun commands, adminpanel, etc. I believe it might be kinda easy now to "re-code" old servers, they don't really need to be exactly like they were but I believe many old players saved images, logos, etc.. Bring back movestats, old stupid commands, /admin list & adminpanel, old userpanel, etc. I would even risk it and divide the servers. Bring back Drunk Drivers Club *color*. Trying to copy the old forum as well, I know this one looks alike but its not the same. I have the old forum layout in my old PC, I believe I can recover it and start working from there and help you to bring back what was once taken from us.

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but this community will always have a place in my heart. Even now, that I'm an adult and I don't have much time to play games, I come to check how is everything going and believe me when I say it breaks my heart to see people commenting in the players choice awards and not being able to fill all the blank spaces. I would really love to play once again but in the old servers.

Yeah, the forum theme is an absolute mess. I'll do something about it very soon. I want to keep the MGM, but I'll finish the new script I promised 4 years ago :D

« Reply #5 on: 09. February 2020, 11:34:33 »
DDC never learns.

First opening seperate cross server for the 100th time even though it never made a difference in the past.

And now it's gonna be the playground for someone who not just killed DDC once before but also just wants to test their custom client ideas on it.

Which is the worst idea ever as DDC already has a small player base, so how many newcomers are gonna go through the extra work to download a custom client to play here?

What a sick joke.

RIP DDC 2020

• 2010-2020
  • Awards For people with a driver's licence For people who joined DDC community in 2010
« Reply #6 on: 09. February 2020, 11:40:09 »
The Renderhook stuff looks amazing. Though it will certainly have to be perfect in my opinion to replace what everyone has always known. I think it's safe to say that the players in this community love the way the DDC community was because of the players and forum, not the way things look when it comes to UI and graphics from the game. There's also a chance that many players will not be able to play properly due to bad hardware. (Somehow in 2020..) I'd like to see it happen though.

As for the UI related things, I think it's much needed. But I don't look for copies of other servers like FFS for example.

Also we have to be realistic and not expect too much. We will never get the old community back when it comes to all the players.

I'm glad we now have an active developer and I hope it all works out.

What I also would like to see is a simple change of the names for the Arena's, and possibly add another arena for HDM.

I think we should also really look in to the maps we have for example in OS and Night, and make sure that there aren't OS maps in Night, and vice versa.

Not everything I said has to do with development but I think it's needed to say.

Lets see how things turn out. :) Oh and welcome back Sami.

• 2010-2020
  • Awards For people with a driver's licence For people who joined DDC community in 2010
« Reply #7 on: 09. February 2020, 11:45:46 »
DDC never learns.

First opening separate cross server for the 100th time even though it never made a difference in the past.

And now it's gonna be the playground for someone who not just killed DDC once before but also just wants to test their custom client ideas on it.

Which is the worst idea ever as DDC already has a small player base, so how many newcomers are gonna go through the extra work to download a custom client to play here?

What a sick joke.

RIP DDC 2020

The Cross server is useless. If anything it should be implemented in the current server if people really want the nostalgic feel. In my opinion Cross is Cross, it's about the players not the server. So I have to Agree with Christian.

Like I just said, people might not be able to play with a custom client. It would certainly be cool to play with graphics like that but I doubt it will be successful, or even worthy to invest time in creating such thing.

I think we need to look at how to grow, and not revive the past. People will randomly come back, or not at all. 

« Reply #8 on: 09. February 2020, 13:18:49 »
I don't know what to say after this;

You said everything I wanted to say. Looks like it's not just me thinking this way.

« Reply #9 on: 09. February 2020, 14:03:53 »
I think we need to look at how to grow, and not revive the past.

We are not in 2010 anymore, getting new players is almost impossible since most people that still play MTA already have their main server and won't switch back, most DDC players moved to ffs after 2015 and now they won't come back no matter what we do.. but I believe we can get them to play from time to time if we get the old servers & forum back.

If you will start development with that new client idea, you should start with a new community as well.

While you guys work to get new players, I will work on my own to bring back 2010-2011 servers and the forum, as I said I have my old PC with almost everything needed but the forum database.

• https://discord.gg/zWShEWS
  • Awards Mr.Admin / PCA 19
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: 09. February 2020, 14:22:27 »
I think we should also really look in to the maps we have for example in OS and Night, and make sure that there aren't OS maps in Night, and vice versa.

We are working on that :biblethump:
I'm already deleting some maps but idk every map so please report them on discord or forum

« Reply #11 on: 09. February 2020, 17:08:24 »
DDC never learns.

First opening seperate cross server for the 100th time even though it never made a difference in the past.

What a sick joke.

RIP DDC 2020

Obviously, if we don't have activity, nobody will bother to download a new client. The russian projects with custom mta client are successful because they already had a playerbase. My first job is to get the activity back on server, and that'll be a lot of work, but I'm willing to invest my time into ddc. Maybe after a few months, when we have good amount of players on ddc servers, then I'll start working on the new client. We'll also need to do something about the forum though.

The Renderhook stuff looks amazing. Though it will certainly have to be perfect in my opinion to replace what everyone has always known. I think it's safe to say that the players in this community love the way the DDC community was because of the players and forum, not the way things look when it comes to UI and graphics from the game. There's also a chance that many players will not be able to play properly due to bad hardware. (Somehow in 2020..) I'd like to see it happen though.

As for the UI related things, I think it's much needed. But I don't look for copies of other servers like FFS for example.

Also we have to be realistic and not expect too much. We will never get the old community back when it comes to all the players.

People will have an option to roll back to DX9, if they can't run DX11. First, I want to finish the current race mode. I'm going to bring back the features and forum we had back then. Cat master is working on the new forum theme, so it can look like old ddc.

I'm glad we now have an active developer and I hope it all works out.

What I also would like to see is a simple change of the names for the Arena's, and possibly add another arena for HDM.

Not everything I said has to do with development but I think it's needed to say.

Lets see how things turn out. :) Oh and welcome back Sami.

You can post your suggestions RIGHT HERE, so they don't get lost here. Thanks. :)

• Awards Mr.Missed / PCA 19 Worst alcoholic of DDC Mr.Keeping You Alive / PCA 17 Mr.Good Looking / PCA 17 Mr.Clever / PCA 17 Hardworker of the year 2017 For people who work a lot Given to people who post well written messages Mr.Change Good / PCA 16 Mr.Clever / PCA 16 For people with a driver's licence
« Reply #12 on: 09. February 2020, 23:13:48 »
While you guys work to get new players, I will work on my own to bring back 2010-2011 servers and the forum, as I said I have my old PC with almost everything needed but the forum database.
Hey, you probably weren't here from April 2016 to February 2018. But during that time the forum looked literally like "old DDC". We were just using a newer version of the forum engine. That was until we started to use this theme. It would be quite easy to go back to the old theme.

Also "new DDC" started out with the old seperated servers, even with the old databases, until we moved to the MGM server. Also, why would it be good to have /movestats command again? @PuntoCom

• ಠ_ಠ
  • Awards Referee Mr.Funny Man / PCA 16 For people who work a lot ;7 For skilled photoshop users For people who joined DDC community in 2010 For people with a driver's licence
« Reply #13 on: 10. February 2020, 01:56:20 »
Well, to be honest I didn't like you at first, but don't take it personal. I just blame every single scripter this community had for destroying the server and taking us to this point. I do appreciate all the efforts made tho, I know it's not such an easy job and even on this situation taking the lead is a brave gesture. But I guess we all deserve second chances, right? And as we previously spoke, you know you have my support. After all, I believe the storm has already passed by, and lately we're having a lot of positive changes to the community. I really hope 2020 will be our year.
Now, speaking into the matter, I do like the proposed changes, if there's something we need is a new look, current server looks just awful and bad aged, so that would be a good start. About that renderhook thing, I'm not sure how it can help us really. I mean, right now the priority is to improve player base, so yeah I have to agree with Bonsai here, adding an extra load to newcomers is not the best of the ideas.. plus graphics was never something of relevance on this game tbh (and considering there are plenty of shaders and stuff like that people can download if they want to improve their graphics in game)
Anyway, totally looking forward for the new features and stuff to be implemented, hopefully server will be less of a disease for my eyes, doesn't really give the motivation to play you know... but consider that in such a delicated situation you have to go step by step, no need to take things into rush. But yeah in general I like how things are taking shape here. :D

I have the old forum layout in my old PC, I believe I can recover it and start working from there and help you to bring back what was once taken from us.

@PuntoCom Espero que puedas recuperar esos archivos, si sabes a lo que me refiero  :kappa:

« Reply #14 on: 10. February 2020, 02:00:57 »
Hey, you probably weren't here from April 2016 to February 2018. But during that time the forum looked literally like "old DDC". We were just using a newer version of the forum engine. That was until we started to use this theme. It would be quite easy to go back to the old theme.

Also "new DDC" started out with the old seperated servers, even with the old databases, until we moved to the MGM server. Also, why would it be good to have /movestats command again? @PuntoCom

I was around but I don't remember the forum being "literally like "old DDC"" tbh

and about the movestats command, YOU WOULDN'T GET IT

@PuntoCom Espero que puedas recuperar esos archivos, si sabes a lo que me refiero 

Esos estan todos bien guardados jaja
« Last Edit: 10. February 2020, 02:02:49 by PuntoCom »